Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) has become a key marketing strategy for businesses of all sizes, as people increasingly rely on Google and other search engines to find the products and services they need. Strong demand by consumers for video and the rise of mobile has resulted in video becoming an essential part of the marketing mix and we now know that creating engaging video content will improve your SEO ranking when people video search.
Video search and video sites have been mainstream since 2004, but content on these sites has evolved dramatically over the past few years. In 2007, Google added video and images to its search algorithms. Five years on, SEO professionals are of the view that video results are gaining growing prominence in Google’s results pages. Instead of ranking YouTube on views, google is assessing the content consumption in terms of minutes viewed, rewarding engaging videos that keep viewers watching.
This is all good news for small brands as video for search ranking isn’t exclusive for large brands. Video is levelling the playing field in the SEO world, acting as an effective tool for smaller brands to outperform their larger competitors in search results.
Video for SEO
A quick glance at some facts highlights the power of video for search engine optimisation (SEO):
- Google puts more search engine ranking value on digital video (source: Google).
- The chances of getting a page one listing on Google increase 53 times with video (source: Forrester Research) because there is still much less competition for video pages.
- Video search results have a 41% higher click through rate than plain text (source: aimClear).
- Video search results appeared in almost 70% of the top 100 search listing on Google in 2012 (source: Marketing Week).
- Time spent on a website is a ranking factor in the algorithm for Google search results as longer time on a website indicates a good quality website. Study after study have shown that having video contenn on a website makes visitors stay longer on a site.
- Video provides eye catching and emotionally connecting content that generates the attention and interest of social media users. This quality content helps drive users to your social channels and then onto your website. Indeed research suggest that immediately after viewing a company’s video, buyers are 40% more likely to visit a company’s website or contact them via phone.
If people find your video relevant and useful, it will influence the way they engage with and relate to your brand and ultimately drive desired results for search and beyond. If video is something you haven’t considered or would like to consider, please call Helen on 0845 313 6220.